The 180
You came in for a virus;
A fever,
Some pain in your legs.
There were mosquitos on vacation—
Could that be the reason?
The story was that you were a happy
kid;
Excited to play baseball and start
first grade.
But your body had other plans.
It turned on you.
There were blasts and there
shouldn’t be.
Biopsies.
Blood panels.
Lumbar punctures and ports.
And
suddenly a mother’s worst nightmare was born.
What do you do when the world
completely flips?
The only wars you wage now are
against yourself.
It’s you against you, but not
you.
The sick kid, the sad parents,
They’re just stories on the radio,
the TV.
The
people you see, but won’t be—
Can’t be.
The truth is, Even when,
Poison is the hero and you fight
against yourself,
The world is still turning.
Little boys will dream of baseball,
First grade and Spring.
If all goes right, the 180 will become
360,
And nightmares become sweet dreams
again.
This is a poem I wrote in honor of
my first patient as a third year student.
It was weird to think that after
two years of literally cramming my brain with thousands upon thousands of words
and facts and associations and medications, I would suddenly walk into the
hospital and be on the care team. Don’t
get me wrong. I know a lot of
things. Ask me the genetic chromosomal
translocation of Acute Pro-Myelocytic Leukemia and I can pull that from its
tidy file, but if that patient comes to see me, I’m not going to know what to
do about it. There are just too many
dimensions of knowledge in medicine. I
now fully understand why there are so many years of training.
In the classroom, we would look at
the disease and deconstruct it. What
caused it? What does it look like? What does it make the patient look like? How would you treat it? What are the risk
factors? All these random little details
that you assemble into a Lego structure and then you have the problem solved
and the answer right. There was a point
in my studying where I became so fixated on the facts of the case and the
symptoms, I would literally skip the first sentence that described the actual
patient being discussed. He was just a
name and an age, what was more important was the disease he had. That’s all that really mattered.
In the story of my first patient, I
knew the facts, and I knew them well. I
could tell you about the genetics of the disease. I knew what the peripheral smear would look
like that would diagnose him, as well what the mechanism of action of the drugs
that would treat him. But what they just
can’t teach you is the way a parent looks at you when they’ve just received
some of the scariest news of their life.
They don’t teach you that in the course of one hour a little boy goes
from a kid who maybe got a tick bite on vacation to a little boy on the cancer
floor of the hospital getting prodded with needles and nurses. A little boy who now will be at the mercy of
poison for years to come. When you are
in the classroom, you have the distance between you and the disease. You have the safety of pages and pictures
that you can simply glance at and dismiss at your leisure. Now
you can’t separate yourself from the patient; glaze over him as unimportant
detail. Because his face, or the face of
their spouse, or child, or parent, is the face that is looking right back at
you and listening to every word from your mouth as you describe a small detail
that could alter their lives forever.
When you finally reach the hospital
as a medical student, you reach the heart of medicine and that is where you
will learn the most important details about what this all really means.
No comments:
Post a Comment